Skip to main content

What type of legal recourse do I have against a car dealer who has failed to surrender my car's title to me after 2 years?

Saint Louis, MO |

Purchased in May 2010, at car auction in cash under dealership's access, dealer signed sales slip; I have bill of sale sign by dealer; Dealer no longer does business under LLC. since 2011 some time; I signed a document stating I had received the original title and my request was a second request under distress after being told I would not receive another one unless I signed papers with the dealers attorney stating that; In March, I submitted an IDOD Form via email to dealer to receive my title and the dealer has failed to provide title. As of today, I received a text message from dealer say "they" will buy my car back for $1500 if they don't receive "it" in 14 days. My car isn't for sale. I want my title so I can get my vehicle registered legally, out of my garage, and onto the road. Help!

The cash used to purchase the vehicle was my cash, and I was on the auction floor under dealership's auction access when I purchased the car.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This isn't very clear what happened to you but one thing is obvious. You bought a car two years ago and you never got title. Someone owes you a title if you paid for the car. You could have a lot of claims but no one can tell for sure without going over all of this very carefully with you and looking at any paperwork you may have. You need to talk to a local Consumer Law attorney near you who deals with your specific kind of case. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, You can also look for one here on Avvo under the Find a Lawyer tab. Or you can call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Consumer Law attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Consumer Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

Did a business treat you unfairly? See what your Udap rights are to protect yourself, click here

For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click here

Click here to see what your state law says is unfair and deceptive and what your legal rights are

Read this free online Avvo Legal Guide, What is Fraud?

Learn the tricks of car sales fraud so you don’t get ripped off, Click Here

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. If you need a Consumer Law attorney, click the link above to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.