Skip to main content

What type of lawyer would I need to sue my employer?

Rockford, IL |

So I was terminated about a month ago, while on fmla. I was on fmla for pregnancy, and on my fmla papers it states "may need days off for acute vaginal bleeding" which I ended up having lots of it and I would call in. But my employer was not counting my days as excused under fmla. So being that our attendence is a point system the days that I missed left me at a negative number. So I was terminated. Since then I have gotten doctors notes, call logs, and have spoken to my "ex employer" and my union, since I did file a grievence, but they are still looking into it. Another thing is they don't even want to give me unemployment. Because my employer is stating I had a no call, no show. Which is not true

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You would want to search for an employment law attorney. The Find a Lawyer tab will allow you to search for one in the Rockford area.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.


it sounds as if the company and already certified your FMLA leave. If you were also following their call in procedures, then the termination sounds illegal. You need to contact an employment lawyer yesterday!

Go to the following website:

Good luck

If you found this Answer to be helpful, please mark it as such. Remember, however, free advice is worth every penny you paid for it. This is only generalized commentary on your question. It is not to be taken as legal advice. I am a lawyer – but not your lawyer! Even "in person" interviews leave attorneys with plenty of questions – the Internet makes it crazy! Thank you Chuck Watson 217.544.6165