What type of lawyer should I contact that can help me with a small claims court case?

Tampa, FL |

I'm a very nervous and shy person by nature. I also have has back surgery and have degenerative spine disease so when I'm stressed my back muscles become so tight the pain becomes unbearable. Having said I know I need to take a mechanic to small claims court. Is there someone that can help me through this process without costing a fortune? I am currently not working bc of my health issues. What happened is: I bought a brand new BMW a couple years ago and it was time to put new tires on so about a week ago I bought the identical run-flats and had them shipped to a local "run-flat certified" mechanic that was recommended to me. It was returned to me with every single rim damaged and they are @$500 each. I'm sick to my stomach about this. My rims were so nice & now they're hacked.

Best Answer

Have you tried to work this out with the mechanic directly? If you make your complaint clear, and indicate that you will have to go to Court if they don't make good, they may well choose to make good --particularly if you are seeking only replacement costs. Try that first before going to Court. If you do go to small claims, I would also look for a witness (close family/friend?) who can help provide evidence (by their testimony) as to the prior condition of the rims. One thing I might be prepared to answer (if asked by the court) is how you are able to drive with your disability. Not saying that this is not possible, but just an issue that may come up.
That said, I agree with a prior poster that obtaining an attorney is unlikey to be cost effective here .
Take courage, and understand that Small Claims Courts deal with regular people. If you are truthful and organized, you'll be fine.

This is not to be considered legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. Inquiries may be directed to 212-414-8200

You paid $500 a tire and want a free lawyer??? A bit insulting don't you think!

If you can show the shop did the damage, take it up with them maybe they can refinish your wheels. Next time, ask if they can do run flats, they require special training not all repair shops have.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

When I bought the car I was working and healthy. Since then I had a cervical discectomy and fusion and permanent nerve damage in my hands so I havent been able to work. I didn't mean to insult anyone at all. I'm sorry I asked for advice.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Not sure what your health matters have to do with your tire issue......check the document you signed with the repair shop, there is likely language about your options in any dispute- i.e. mediation.

To clarify, health issues were brought up to explain my situation to you in a little more detail because your initial reply to my posting was so far off base. It's obvious that you dont not intend to be of any help with my matter and I would appreciate if you no longer responded to my posting/s.

You can contact the Hillsborough county bar association and consultations for cases are free. I understand that you are concerned about the cost of representation.

I am sure there are local attorneys that can help you and either quote you a flat fee or an hourly. I don't think the cost of an attorney will be a "fortune" for a small claims matter if you feel you don't want to handle yourself. I think if you are able to afford a new BMW, that a relatively minor matter which you describe should be affordable.