Skip to main content

What type of lawyer do I search for a specialty for a license suspension for registered Nurse ?

Buffalo, NY |

My story is I had a medication error & a lab needed to be ordered. I accidentally omitting without transferring the orders on the patient medication admission orders so this patient would not get it but of course the DR. or NP never picked it up. So the Department of Health did a stipulation & order with me for neglect, Here is the kicker my employer @ the time used there lawyer & paid it. Not knowing any better & the lawyer settled without giving me options. Here is another kicker I never had lawyer when I get interviewed by the health department & to write up a statement. I was never offered to get one. So to me I am correct I pretty much can flush my license in the toilet cause I did n't get a chance to fight?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There are attorneys that specialize in healthcare law and the are many attorneys that are also nurses. I would start by calling the buffalo bar association and see if they can refer you to a couple of attorneys.

DISCLAIMER: Gene Burkett is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship


I know a lawyer here in White Plains who specializes in cases such as yours and is one of the best in the field. If you can't find anybody you want to use who is closer to your area, feel free to call me. Don't plan on tearing up your license without consulting with your own lawyer.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.


First of all, your fact pattern is a bit unclear and does not reflect whether the events resulted in a license suspension, although you apparently entered into a Stipulation admitting Neglect. Assuming that is the case, you would need to consult with attorneys who handle professional disciplinary matters . I suggest that you either contact your local bar association to see if it has a Lawyer Referral Service or, in the alternative, you should contact your professional nursing organization for a list of attorneys in your area.

The underlying facts for each situation are unique. Any responses given are for informational purposes only and are not designed or intended as professional legal advice, since any suggestions may not apply to your specific circumstance. This information exchange does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind. Should you determine that you need immediate legal assistance or action , you should contact your local Bar Association for a referral to an attorney in your area.


I am not in your area, but I am a nurse attorney and I frequently represent nurses on such issues. I am not sure if New York has a nurse-attorney organization, but you can run a check on the internet and also check for nurse attorney listings in your local area. Many nurse attorneys, indicate their nurse attorney status on their web site. As another attorney, recommended, you may also check for health care attorneys. Good luck and do not give up. An attorney should be able to assist you with this.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer