What type of jail sentence am i going to get for 2c:5-2a, 2c:35-5b, and 2c:24-4a

Flemington, NJ |

i was recently arrested for conspericy to purchase cds and endangering the welfare of children. i was setup by my so called friend and i stupidy brought my children with me to the deal. i was under the asumtion that i was just going to help him out cause he had told me that his car broke down and he had pills on him that he was going to sell to a person that was with me and when i got there he wasnt there but the cops saw me driving in looking for him and busted me. i had the money on me that was from the guy who wanted the pills. i dont know why i did have the money but i did. what should i do. dyfus took my kids from me n placed them with my parents for the mean time. i know i really screwed up but how can i fix this or what should i do. i cant afford a lawyer. im completely lost

Best Answer

Hunterdon County is rather strict compared to some other Counties on Drug/ CDS charges. However the Judge hearing the criminal cases is reasonable as are most of the prosecutors. From experience they will be more concerned with the endangering charge than the CDS. If this is your first offense you can likely avoid jail time based on the facts you present. The question is whether you can keep your record relatively clear and square the situation with DYFS. Even if this is not your first offense there are ways to avoid jail time. You do not indicate the degree of the drug (CDS) charge. I assume it is 3rd degree. You will be assigned a PD. A private lawyer can get into the case earlier and start laying groundwork for a positive outcome. But the PD will help you as well. Depending on the details of the case there may be a few defenses that need to be explored. Call for a phone consultation is you like.

i have no criminal record at all expect a dwi i had recently got in november of last year. I was hearing that i could get like 10 years for the endangering charge and like 3-5 for the 3rd degree conspicacy charge. is this true?? i have always been on the good side of the law. its just despret times call for despret measures.

also i have no money for a lawyer and no one is willing to help me out with it. my parents and my grandfather say i should go to jail cause thats where i belong. my family is really messed up. im trying my best to be a single parent raising my two kids n i make one mistake n they think i should get the worst longest punishment ever

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

I am sorry I was not able to get to your question sooner. A conspiracy to commit a crime of the first degree is a second degree offense. All other conspiracies are of the same degree as the crime charged. so if your CDS charge is third degree as I assume from your original information you are not facing 10 years. ten years is the max for a second degree offense. So unless there is information I misunderstood or you did not tell us you are only facing 5 years on both and as a first offender jail is not likely. but call with more info. In a message dated 6/25/2011 3:50:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, avvomail@avvo.com writes: (http://www.avvo.com/?utm_campaign=hp&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification) _Find a Lawyer_ (http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer?utm_campaign=fal&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification) | _Find a Doctor_ (http://www.avvo.com/find-a-doctor?utm_campaign=fad&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification) | _Avvo.com_ (http://www.avvo.com/?utm_campaign=hp&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notificati on) Greetings, Someone has commented on your answer to question: what type of jail sentence am i going to get for 2c:5-2a, 2c:35-5b, and 2c:24-4a Comment: i have no criminal record at all expect a dwi i had recently got in november of last year. I was hearing that i could get like 10 years for the endangering charge and like 3-5 for the 3rd degree conspicacy charge. is this true?? i have always been on the good side of the law. its just despret times call for despret measures. _View comment thread_ (http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-type-of-jail-sentence-am-i-going-to-get-for-2-477656.html?utm_campaign=view&utm_content=c omment_notify&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification#answer_712317) Or, reply to this email to add an additional comment. Thanks for participating on Avvo, The Avvo Team

Conspiracy to distribute cds and endangering the welfare of a child are serious charges that carry up to five years in prison upon conviction. Depending on your criminal history, a likely outcome could be anywhere from probation with no jail time conditioned on drug treatment, parenting classes and community service to jail time with probation or prison time. You need a lawyer. If you can find a way to borrow money to hire a private attorney, that would be best. Remember this is about you and your children and the rest of your life. A private attorney is more likely to invest the time in your case needed to find a resolution that you can live with. If not, you will get a public defender who will work for you but under the time constraints of their heavy caseload.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is based only on the limited information provided in the question.

Eric M. Mark

Eric M. Mark

If you cannot come up with money for a private attorney you will be assigned a public defender. They are capable attorneys, but they have heavy caseloads and you may be better off with a private attorney who can invest more time in your defense.

The sentence you are facing will depend to a large degree upon your prior criminal record, if any. The steps you must take to have your children returned will also depend to a degree on whether you have any prior history with DYFS. You definitely need an attorney for the criminal charges, and I would advise that you try to hire an attorney who can also guide you through the DYFS steps. It is easier and more cost efficient if you can find an attorney who is familiar with both areas of law. If you absolutely cannot afford an attorney, apply for a public defender as soon as possible.