Skip to main content

What type of fine does PL 220.03 00 (possession of controlled substance) carry, and can you plead it down to a lower charge?

Deer Park, NY |

Also, would these charges result in a probation period?

PL 220.03 00
A Misdemeanor, 2 counts, Arrest charge, Arraignment charge
Description: Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance

PL 220.45 00
A Misdemeanor, 1 count, Arrest charge, Arraignment charge
Description:Possession of a Hypodermic Instrument

PL 220.03 00
A Misdemeanor, 1 count, Arrest charge, Arraignment charge
Description: Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance
Weapon/Drug: Dangerous Drug

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Criminal possession in the seventh degree is a class A misdemeanor. The maximum fine could be as high as $1000. There are, however, other matters to be concerned with.

If convicted, you can go to jail for up to a year and have a permanent criminal record. Yes, the charges could be negotiated down, and an attorney may even be able to get you an ultimate dismissal. Talk to a lawyer.


Fines can range from 0 to $1000.

Multiple drug charges can be plead down to a lower charge depending on the circumstances. Typically it will be reduced to either a lesser misdemeanor or a non-criminal violation.

A drug program may lead to a better deal and a potential dismissal.

Get a good lawyer.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


PL 220.03 00 can carry fines up to $1000, but can also result in jail time. You would do well to call an attorney

Scott Gross Esq
631 456 2326

This is not a solicitation nor is it legal advice. An attorney/client relationship has not been established. The Law Offices of Scott Gross, PC 631-456-2326


Probation is one possible result. The answer depends on how much drugs were recovered and your prior criminal record, if any. Other possible punishment includes: drug treatment program, fines, community service, staying out of future trouble, etc..

Hopefully your attorney will be able to reduce these charges so you do not have a permanent criminal record that cannot be erased or expunged.

Richard Southard
I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office and adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website