Skip to main content

What too say on a letter too a judge too drop an order or protection on my boyfriend?

Potsdam, NY |

My boyfriend and I split up and i was seeing another guy and he my ex boyfriend busted down my door and they put an order of protection on us and I would like too get it dropped and drop all charges.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You cannot assume that you can get the Court to drop charges against your ex boyfriend and the order of protection just because you want to do so. Judges and prosecutors are very reluctant to do anything that would put victims of domestic violence at risk. My suggestion is that you retain legal counsel to help advise you concerning this situation, and to prepare whatever papers need to be submitted to the Court.


I agree with Attorney Ross. The process is not in your hands and Protection Orders are not toys to use whenever you want to. If there was serious enough reason to issue the order, the court is not going to be quick to drop it just becasue you want to get back with your boyfriend. They need to be concerned for your safety. It sounds like he is a violent guy so don't be too quick to let him back in. Furthermore, you cannot invite him back while the order is still in effect he can still get arrested.

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.


If you write a letter advising you want charges and/or order of protection dropped, judge may listen or may ignore. If you admit you like or did not tell truth in any papers you signed, you could face perjury or filing a false instrument. Your other choice is not to cooperate with the prosecution and the charges and order of protection will be dismissed.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo, LLP
President, Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County
1103 Stewart Avenue, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
(O) 516-408-3666
(F) 516-408-3833

Sent from my Verizon Blackberry

----- Original Message -----


A letter is useless - you need to arrange with an attorney to appear in person so the judge can judge whether you are being threatened or coerced into asking to drop the OOP

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer