What to do when injured at a bar?

Greenville, SC |

An empty glass bottle landed on my face as a fight occurred at a local bar, I had to go to the hospital and ended up getting 7 stitches. I'd like to know what can I do to get my medical bill covered

You can send the bar/bar's insurance company a letter claim requesting that they pay, however; I would seek a local personal injury attorney who offers free consultations. It can be very confusing, unfair and difficult to deal with an insurance adjuster or the bar's attorney without representation. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

The bar should have medical payments coverage that would apply regardless of fault, but there may be a negligence claim against the bar that would allow you to be compensated for your pain and permanent scarring. Contact a lawyer near you

There might be a way to recover. But you probably need to hire an attorney that does injury cases. Bars in sc are not required to carry insurance so recovery can be a little tricky. I would be happy to talk to you about this in more detail over the phone. I am just outside of Columbia. Or you could hire a personal injury attorney.

Since the bar is not required to carry insurance, what are the chances of compensation?

Tristan M Shaffer

Tristan M Shaffer

Well that is a hard question. It depends on the bar, the owner, the security, and the person who caused the bottle to hit you. But some bars carry insurance even though they dont have to. Honestly, most personal injury attorneys will try to get you compensated on contengency and if they can't recover anything it will not cost you anything.

Tristan M Shaffer

Tristan M Shaffer

Also even if the bar has insurance these type of cases can be an uphill battle. Generally the insurance company will claim that they are not responsible for the actions of the guy that hit you. You might have to foia prior assaults at the bar. It is very possible to recover from these incidents but you need to know what you are doing.

I urge you to contact a local attorney to discuss this matter. They should help you get your medical bills covered and possible pursue a further claim.

Best bet is to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate a claim against the bar.

First, begin writing a journal. Write down as much as you can remember from that day beginning from when you first got to the bar through the current day. Trust me, you will forget details later on. Write down who you were with, the bartender's name, etc. Write down any witnesses and get their contact information.

Second, keep track of all your medical providers. Get their medical records and bills and keep them together. Do everything your doctors tell you to do. Make sure that your doctors write in their chart if you have any limitations (like can't work, hurts to do chores, can't play with your kids, etc). Update your journal every day with what is going on in your case, including injuries and pain.

Third, if you feel comfortable, ask the manager for help. Sometimes you can get what you want with sugar. Be nice and respectful and see if they are willing to help you. Ask who their insurance company is and contact the insurance company. However, don't let them take a recorded statement. Tell the insurance Company that they can take notes, but no recording.

Ultimately it may be difficult to prove that the bar did anything wrong according to the law. That would take some more investigation. However, if the insurance company or the bar gives you some push-back, then call an attorney who can help. Remember that most personal injury attorneys do not charge for an initial consultation and will only charge a fee if you win.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.