Skip to main content

What to do to prepare myself as a new mom and custody?

Orange, VA |

My babies father has been to the hospital 2 times last year for self harm, he has a drug charge, and I have text messages where he talks about killing himself and jumping off a bridge, would those help me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Custody and visitation are determined by what is in the best interest of the child. If the father is suicidal and considered to be a danger to the child, that will certainly have an affect on the case. You should contact a child custody attorney in your area to help you with your case. They will be able to explain and apply the statutes and case law governing the "best interest" standard.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


They would help you out tremendously. Your attorney may be able to build a case for supervised visitation only, until these issues are under control. The best interests of the child will be protected.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer