Skip to main content

What to do if victim of extortion?

Florida |

What can I do if I am a victim of extortion?
What is the statute of limitations in Florida for whatever can be done?
Should I talk with a lawyer? If so, what type of lawyer and why?
What is different if it is also a federal crime (across international borders)?
I assume that any crime is treated the same way in the US regardless of the citizenship or country of residence of the victim.
Is that a reasonable assumption?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you are the victim of extortion, you should go to the authorities, like the police or the prossecutor's office and make a complaint and have them investigate your claim. Beforehand, it would be a good idea to have a conversation with the person or persons who are extorting you and tape record the conversation of which you are a part. It will help prove you have been extorted and protect you from being accused of making a false claim.

Always keep a copy of any tape you make outside of your home/apt. so you have proof if it somehow later disappears after you've given it to the police or DA.

Good luck.


I completely agree with Attorney Robinson's response. Contact the local authorities as soon as possible. Extortion is a criminal offense in most jurisdictions.

Good Luck.