Skip to main content

What to do if my R-1 visa expires, but my I-94 is valid for 2 more years?

Chicago, IL |

My visa will expire in 1 month, but my I-94 is good until 2015. If I don't leave the country in this period, do I still need to reapply for an extension of my visa? Will there be any problems if in the future I want to apply for a permanent residence as a religious worker?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You may remain in the US until your I-94 expires as long as you are still employed by the employer that petitioned for your R visa. If you leave the US you must get a new visa stamped on your passport to re-enter the US. This should not cause any problems if you decided to apply to become a permanent resident.


No, visas are used soley to enter the US

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


A valid visa stamp is only required to enter the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Your visa stamp is only for entry to the US; it does not govern your status or length of stay while here. That is governed by your I 94. So, unless you need to travel, no need to do anything until close to the time your I 94 will expire. However, with regard to PR, that takes a while, so best to get started early.


You do not need to extend your visa if you are not leaving the U.S. However, you will need to take steps to extend or adjust your status before 2015.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer