Skip to main content

What to do if drugs are found in your car but you are not in possession of the car at the time?

Kalispell, MT |

I was working in a National Park last year, and a friend had asked to borrow my car, about 3 hours later I get a phone call to come down to the ranger station, I come down there and find out that my friend was pulled over for driving eratically and upon search of the car they found some paraphanalia and a marijuana roach in the car. Now what I was told by the ranger was that since it was my car, I had to admit to the items or else I would be going to jail. I worked a seasonal job and could not afford to lose it by going to jail so I said that they weren't mine but a friend had put them there. Looking back on it now I know that I should have just not admitted to anything and asked for a lawyer but I panicked. The ranger no longer works in the area and probably will not be at court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Do not post any details online because of potential self incrimination problems. Get a criminal defense lawyer on your side. Your lawyer will tell you not to speak to the police. If you confess to a crime you did not commit (trust me, it happens), you will be charged.

Everyone has a freedom against self-incrimination but an online site like this one is not private. What you post here may be used against you. No one can say what the evidence is against you so at least remain silent and do not incriminate yourself without speaking to a lawyer.

Read my Legal Guide "Internet Privacy - Not!" if you think it might be helpful.

You need a lawyer so get one. ASAP!

Read my Legal Guide "What is the Right to Remain Silent?

Because this matter is so important you should really get a lawyer. Many factors such as age, prosecutor discretion, what judge you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say what type of time you'll do if this is a crime.

You can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question