Skip to main content

What to do after you were left money after a person dies and the family bring it to you and gradually changes ?

Berkeley, CA |

How do you some how manage to keep it?
Even after the family changes your name on the account?

+ Read More

Filed under: Wills
Attorney answers 3


I am not really clear on what the question is here. Can you try to restate it?

If you are the beneficiary of a trust, it may be that the trustee has the right (called "discretion") to decide what amounts you get, but you are entitled to know what the decision is based on and obtain records of the trust.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:


You question is not clear.You need to be more clear.
What the family changed? How?Names in accounts don't change overnight .
Was a bank account? A trust? Cash?

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.


If someone is changing what you were entitled to after the fact they cannot do that. You need to ask for an accounting in writing and I suggest you speak with an attorney to help make sure you are protected.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer