Skip to main content

What to do about our home that is falling apart?

Ballwin, MO |

Hi. Our 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch home is approx. 50 years old. We purchased our home 11 years ago. It has a family room addition on it and it was peered from the previous owner. Now the rest of the home is pulling away from the addition and sinking into the ground. There are cracks in our kitchen and dining room about 10 ft long and about an inch wide. We had quite a few companies come out and give us estimates of what it would cost to peer our home and stabilize it. They range from $25,000 to $37,000. We took equity out on our home but we only had $13,000 in it.. We can't afford to take any other loans out as we live paycheck to paycheck now. We have excellent credit but like I said, can't afford any more payments to anything. Is there anything we can do? We are just sick over this!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Since you bought the home over 11 years ago, it is too late to pursue any claim against the seller for not disclosing any hidden defects. That is the typical remedy.

There is no real legal remedy based on the facts you present

This comment does not create an attorney-client relationship. The law and its application by the courts is constantly evolving and changing. This discussion is not to be taken as a definitive guide, and should not be relied upon to determine all fact situations. Each set of facts must be examined separately with the current case and statutory law analyzed and applied accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer