Skip to main content

What steps do i take to get emancipated at age 16?

Byron, WY |

I need to get out of my house... im constantly fighting with my parents and they are always hitting me . i feel that i would be safer away from this household.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately, in Wyoming you need to be 17 in order to petition the District Court for emancipation. See

Usually, the Court will have the paperwork that you need to request emancipation.

However, if your parents are hitting you and you do not feel safe then you should contact the authorities. This concern is beyond the scope of emancipation and online advice The County Attorney or Department of Family Services should be able to assist you. I encourage you to contact an attorney in your community to address your concerns.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for on a web page. The information is intended as general information only, and is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.