Skip to main content

What steps can I take?

Kansas City, MO |

I have a daughter in college and I pay child support for in MO. There was only a child support order and never a custody order or visitation. I was thinking of filing to have my support payment go directly to my daughter instead of her mother. My daughter stays on campus. Is this a wise step? I have also not received an answer as to how college is being paid for? I have no clue and the question will not be answered what can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


See an attorney where you got the divorce and have the attorney read the papers. In some states child support ends at the age of 18 or when the child graduates high school which ever is later.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


The burden actually shifts to your daughter once she begins post secondary education. I encourage you to contact her directly and ask her for that information. If she refuses, you may petition the court to have the payments sent directly to her but I would perform a cost benefit analysis first in that I doubt the cost of the procedings will be worth the result.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.