Skip to main content

What should we do ? Do we really need a Lawyer?

Pomona, NY |

I came to USA on a J1 visa not subjet to 212(e) to be an Au Pair, Ive been au pairing for 8 months but Im tired of it, My boyfriend has proposed me, he is in LA and I am in NY, so Next saturday Ill be going to LA to get married, now the thing is, the agency has told me that its ok, I just need to send them proof that I wont stay ilegal, the deal is, Im afraid the USCIS will judge me as if I entered only to marry, also I was denied a B2 visa in August 2010, My boyfriens is american, Im Costarrican, we dont have much money, should we try to get a lawyer or do it oursevels. IK we need the Marriage license, get married, file the I 130 and the I 845 ad the work permit, I know what to do, but Im scared, should we get a lawyer?? will I be deported?? Help please

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Marriage to a US citizen generally forgives unlawful presence as long as you entered lawfully although it sounds like you are in status. Denial of a visitor visa is usually not an issue either. I suggest you do your own research but also see an immigration attorney to answer all your questions. While many people do file on their own, at least a detailed consultation to identify issues will set your mind at ease. I often find issues in consults where the applicants would have had major issues without consulting me first before filing. It is an investment in your life.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.


Get an experience immigration attorney; search Avvo; many have free or low costs consultations; your attorney should be a member of AILA; don't try to do immigration forms or file yourself. It is really a good idea to seek representation. good luck

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.


I agree with the above.

This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship