Skip to main content

What should I say to a judge in order to get a protection order modified or dropped?

Mount Vernon, WA |

My husband has already been convicted and is currently serving his sentence. He will be getting out of jail at the end of December. I already had the protection order modified so that we can talk and I can visit him while he is in custody, but he is not allowed to contact or see me at all when he gets out. We have two kids and I need him home to help and provide financial support for our family when he gets out. I went and got the paperwork to file a motion for the courts, but I'm wondering what I should say so the judge could either modify or drop it. At least so we could go to marriage counseling together or something. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The judge has wide discretion to grant or deny a request to vacate a DV order. Usually the request is denied because the judge is concerned that the assaulter may assault again. You should show the judge (1) why you believe you won't be the victim of more DV; (2) why you believe your husband won't commit more DV; and (3) why it is that you and the kids need him to be in the house. It would help if you can show that you have arranged DV counseling for you and your husband when he gets out; and that your husband is participating in DV counseling while he is in prison. Nevertheless, don't be surprised if the judge denies your request.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


Domestic violence is not a private issue between the victim and offender. There are enormous costs to the legal and law enforcement systems caused by these cases, and important consequences for children and public safety. The law recognizes these massive social costs and is purposely designed to be used for the prevention of subsequent offenses. "No-contact" court orders and parole conditions are important and powerful mechanisms by which the law attempts to further its agenda for prevention of further offenses.Your wish to drop or rescind such orders or conditions does not bind or limit the decisions of the court or parole authorities as to what legal actions are necessary to inhibit you and your husband from future similar incidents. You can make request of the parole authorities to further modify or rescind such conditions, but you cannot compel that decision. The court and/or parole authority will decide based on the seriousness of the original charge, the nature of the evidence that proved that charge, your husband's prior criminal history, and the likelihood of subsequent offenses.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer