Skip to main content

What should I include when creating a visitation schedule for our daughter outside of court?

Tacoma, WA |

Our parenting plan does NOT have a visitation schedule included in it, it was agreed upon to create a Visitation Schedule between parents outside of court. What are some things that I should include in the Visitation Schedule to insure there aren't any loopholes for the mother to use? Currently, the mother only lets me see my daughter once a month for an average of 4 hours, and I can't do anything about it because she hasn't agreed to a Visitation Schedule.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If there's no visitation schedule in the parenting plan, and the mom won't agree to one, you need to file a motion or petition to create a court ordered visitation schedule. There is no other way for you to have any enforceable visitation rights. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parenting plans, major and minor modifications, and visitationfor more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


While I'd not want to try to enforce an informal visitation agreement, you and the mother could fill out a Parenting Plan (available in Word format on line), and get it entered with a court. The longer you delay resolving this issue, the harder it is going to be to get you more frequent visits. I'd suggest meeting with an experienced family law attorney to discuss you options.

This page does not constitute legal advice. These pages do not constitute, nor do they create, an attorney-client relationship between Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services and any receiver. This site is governed by a Site Use Agreement that you accept by reviewing these pages. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with an attorney. If you send any confidential information to Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services and you are not a client of Attorney Frank L. LaBare and/or Maple Valley Legal Services , the information shall lose its confidential status. Furthermore, if the unsolicited information you send to our Law Office, and is beneficial to our clients and adverse to you, the information you provide may be used even if it is contrary to your interests

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer