Skip to main content

What should I expect?

Chesapeake, VA |

I am 17. I was going 75/60 15 over the speed limit. Got pulled over by a state trooper. What should I expect? And if I take a driving improvement course will they lower the fine or even dismiss the case? And in any way can I get my court date moved to an earlier date?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Getting your case moved up will be difficult but it is possible if your attorney can coordinate with the trooper and the court. Your case will be handled in Juvenile so you and your parents should contact a local attorney soon to help you through the process. Taking an in person driver improvement course is always helpful.

For More information about Attorney Pfeiffer see: The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.



What is the usual consequence in this situation if I am guilty?

Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer


There is no usual consequence and you should hire an attorney to help you decide if you are guilty under the eyes of the law.


Do you have any prior criminal or traffic record? That will have the greatest effect on your case. Since you will be in juvenile court, the judges there have many more options at their disposal than adult court judges. Since there are such differences, I would suggest that you and your parents meet with an attorney who is familiar with and has experience with juvenile cases.

I would not recommend taking a driver improvement course yet. Many juvenile cases can be resolved with a dismissal after the juvenile and their parents attend a court-directed driver safety course. This course is much more intense than the ones offered to the public, and the public courses may not be a sufficient substitute.

As for advancing the matter on the docket, that is a possibility, but it is difficult to accommodate the schedules of the officer and the courts. Your attorney will be able to advise you on this as well.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


Mr. Garrett answer is right on for your matter.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777