Skip to main content

What should I do sue my bank?

Winter Garden, FL |

A month ago I got free credit reports and score at Wells Fargo my bank, they took over Wachovia bank whom is who I had, there we're no debts on my report RE :Wachovia, now I check my report 2more times things are good I check again now there is a collection for $88 on it don't know for what I check they say it's Wachovia I owe which I don't always had direct deposit if anything was ever owed it would come out of my deposit, I don't owe them or the collection Co, everyone I talk to is very rude, what can I do, I'm still with the bank same account etc also I was told my account was closed 2006, I still have my account open,?????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The procedure you should follow is set forth in the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and getting a lawyer involed to help you might be the right answer -- if they won't remove the item (presuming it is not yours) then the FCRA provides the ability to go after the bank and have the bank pay for your lawyer.

Talk to someone experienced with this area of the law in your area soon.

Good luck!


You are several steps removed from having to sue. First you need to figure out what the item is and either have it clarified, or removed or explained. There are attorneys who specialize in this area.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices., 305 377 1505


Consider a letter similar to the following for a start:
Creditor's name and address

Your full name
Your account number
Request for Statement of Account

To Whom It May Concern:

I received notice from you that an indebtedness is owed to you or you are collecting a debt on behalf of another person or entity. I hereby request validation of the debt. Such validation should, at a minimum, include copies of all documents referencing the agreement between the parties and should identify the party currently in possession of the original negotiable instrument, if there is one.

I also write to request a statement of account pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code for the debt you claim to be owed by me. At a minimum, I request a written statement of the dates and amounts of payments and the total amount unpaid under such contract.

Furthermore, I respectfully request that your company take no steps that might injure my credit profile. If you are currently reporting adverse information relating to me, please take suitable measures to cancel the reporting pending appropriation validation of the debt. Your failure to do so may be a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and may subject you to actual and compensatory damages, attorney's fees and costs.

Thank you very much in advance for your anticipated cooperation.


Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you, the consumer, some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Please consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. Again, this is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer