What should I do or not do and what can happen to me with no evidence, only speculation?

North Little Rock, AR |

A police report has been filed with my name being given concerning some missing property at a house I was responsible for watching while the owners were out of town. I have spoken with aninsurance investigator ab the missing property and went to the police investigators to cooperate. I was asked to take a polygraph test the same day, agreed, but then after sticking with my story they decided not to proceed and schedule it for another day soon. I'm not sure what to do at this point or who to trust. I just want my name cleared but I have no lead for them in return. I am very scared of what could happen as I have never been in trouble or accused of anything.

Had you posted this question before you started talking about it with police and insurance investigators, I would have told you to talk to no one without the assistance of a competent criminal defense attorney. Okay at this point I can only recommend that you not compound the potential problems by talking any more with police or agreeing to a polygraph examination. Start searching for a good attorney to minimize the chances that this thing gets out of control and puts you in jeopardy.

Could I contact the services in my state for their free legal services? I have a very low income at this time, I guess that's why I am concerned if I should be worried or let it sit at this time. All I have told anyone is that I did not steal anything and don't know who did. Plus, it's a close personal relationship in jeopardy and wondering if I should just try and talk with them again. Although, I feel at this point my word is no good to them.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Do not discuss this situation with anyone, especially police or the owners of the property. Do talk to qualified attorneys. I understand your financial situation and the conclusion you draw from that circumstance. You may or may not be correct in the conclusion you have reached. No matter which way that works out, you should still talk to qualified criminal defense attorneys in your area. Most of the attorneys who participate on this website offer free, if limited, consultations. Take advantage of that opportunity to educate your self by speaking privately with lawyers. In the process you may determine that there is a way to retain counsel for your immediate needs. You know what they say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." Good luck.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Btw, if no local attorneys respond directly here to your question, make use of AVVO's attorney search function. You can also contact the local Bar Association in your county.

Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Patrick Benca is in LR and he is who I would recommend. We handled a capital murder case together

You have a 5th amendment right to remain silent! You just failed to exercise it. DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE EXCEPT YOUR ATTORNEY. A police report is not a charge and hopefully will not result in one. In limited circumstances your statements may be excluded from being used against you. Also, the results of the lie detector may not be admissable. If you are contacted again by the police, insurance, or anyone else, do not answer any questions. Inform the police that you want an attorney present.

Marijuana is against federal law. Federal law supersedes state law. A person could be charged and convicted for marijuana related crimes such as possession, cultivation, distribution, manufacturing, transportation, and conspiracy.

Patrick Benca is in LR and he is who I would recommend. We handled a capital murder case together.
He is on Avvo.

Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

First, do not talk to police again. Second, do not take a polygraph or voice stress test. They are inadmissible anyway in Arkansas, so if you pass it, you can't use it in your favor. But more importantly, the police are allowed to lie to you to get you to confess, so they will tell you that you failed even if you passed. Nothing good can ever come of talking to the cops.

If you are worried, then hire a good criminal defense attorney. We all know how to run interference for you with the cops. A good attorney can usually find out what they know, but will avoid giving them any information.

No attorney-client relationship is established with this answer. It is not to be considered legal advice, but is merely given to point you in the right direction and give you a general answer as to the law regarding the question you have asked.