What should I do now that my I-864 immigrated uncle quit his jobs, moved away and seeking public assistance?

Boston, MA |

We cosponsored my wife's uncle and family with my father-in-law. They arrived 6 months ago. We found jobs for the uncle and aunt, and school for the son and an apt for them. After two months they quit jobs, canceled health insurance, changed school, moved to another city and seeking public assistance. We explained to them of the liabilities on us and his brother. He had no concern and wanted the public assistance and work for under-the-table pay. I can't force them to stay, keep jobs and not seek public assistance. What should we do? What options do we have? Thank you.

Thank you very much for all your answers. All these are very helpful to us in making our decisions. He's not answering phone and left no forwarding address. Half of his own family wants to turn him in. The other half thought just wait and roll the dice. We will give him a week or two while trying to make contact and then we will just state our case with local Immigration Office and seek their advice. Once again, thank you all for your assistance.

Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Best Answer

very little you can do, but our government has been more "aware" lately and do not just give out public benefits. Unfortunately if he does receive it , the government can seek reimbursement from you.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

I would turn them if they put me at legal risk, but I have a low threshold for betrayal. Please allow me to transfer you to the Immigration Forum, where more informed minds can address your inquiry.

We offer general concepts, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

George Ellis Corson IV

George Ellis Corson IV

You have agreed to support them if they fall short. That may include repaying benefits that they receive while working off the books. I hope you and your wife considered that the promise is a legal contract with the Federal Government, designed to prevent just this situation.

Difficult question. You can do very little. He needs to be more conscientious about your responsibilities for him under the I864.

www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

I agree with my colleagues that this is a difficult question to answer. One thing your wife's uncle is going to find out soon, however, is that many types of public assistance are not available to even green card holders until they have been here for more than 5 years.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Good answer

I agree with my colleagues. Good luck to you.

---------------------------
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.