I came to the US following my fiancée who's on a J visa for 2 years with a 1 / 2 visa and my allowed period for the I94 ends on Feb 27th . Following USCIS instructions , I applied for an extension of my status on Jan 14th ( they say to apply within 30 to 45 days prior to the expiration date ) , but I haven't received any answer so far . What should I do if this remains the same on the expiration date ? Can I stay in the US until USCIS decides or should I leave the country and re - enter no matter what ? Is it there any kind of special period between the expiration date and the decision date in which I could stay ? Thank you !