Skip to main content

What should i do if my husband ex wife did not complete the divorce process?

Springfield, MO |

my husband ex wife filled and we had thought that they were divorce so we had gotten married but now they say we need to talk to a lawyer on this matter to see when the divorce is finalized to see if we dont have to pay again

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Divorce court
Attorney answers 3


You should get an initial consultation with a lawyer who practices in your state. They can tell you if the divorce really was finalized, or if there is more that needs to be done. Note that, if your husband was still legally married at the time that he married you, then your current marriage may be legally void, and would need to be re-done after his divorce is finalized. I'm afraid it's very difficult to understand just what you're saying, so it's hard to give more advice than that. (Please see this Guide: )

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


If the proceedings took place in Missouri, you can search for it on CaseNet ( and see if it was finalized. If they are still married, your marriage would be void (RSMo 451.030). If your marriage is void, he would have to finalize his divorce and then you would have to be married again.


Mr. Coulter has been kind enough to provide a complete answer, and to link you to the places where you can find additional information. If your husband is still married, seek legal counsel immediately.

This advice is based upon limited and hypothetical circumstances. For an answer that is specific to your situation, please consult an attorney. The answering of this question does not create an attorney/client relationship, and the poster should seek additional information from qualified legal counsel. Many attorneys, like ours, offer no-cost consultations.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer