Skip to main content

What should I do if my finger got injured at a hotel on my vacation stay? Should I ask the hotel manager to complete a report?

Las Vegas, NV |

I had the please do not disturb sign turned on in my room. The house keeping maid didn't see the sign. She tried to enter the room, but it had a sliding lock on the door that allows you to open the door but not enter. At the time of opening, I heard someone outside knocking on the door. I came out to open it and as I reached to unlock the sliding lock, the house keeping maid opened the door, causing the sliding lock to jam my finger. My finger got bruised up, and it has been one day and the pain is still there.

I have made the hotel manager aware. She upgraded my room without an upgrade charge and offered to waive about $50 in resort fees, however she is still going to charge me for my hotel stay. My concern is what happens if the pain doesn't go away or if it affects my daily life style.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Hand injuries can be very serious and devastating, in fact, I have devoted an entire page on my website to hand injuries. You should get your finger checked out by a doctor to make sure that there is no fracture or other damage. You still have time to retain a personal injury lawyer in your state if the injury to your finger turns out to be serious. Good luck to you.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755



I already made the hotel aware of my injury, should I asked them to provide me something to show proof that I was injured here at the hotel? and if they say no, what should be my option.


Negligence cases involving hotels and resorts have four basic elements: 1. Duty; 2. Breach of Duty; 3. Causation; and 4. Damages. Each element is important and should be evaluated based on the facts and circumstances of the case along with applicable State laws. You need to be evaluated by a doctor to get a better understanding on the extent of your injuries. You should also consult with an attorney to find out your respective legal rights and remedies.


Depending the extent of your injury you may or may not have a claim against the hotel. There several issues that can arise when dealing with a hotel in Nevada. One such example is the fact that they upgraded your room and waived some fees. The hotel will try to argue that this was compensation for your injury. It is important you go to a Doctor and get your finger checked if it is broken then we should talk further is it is just bruised then there may not be much an attorney can do for you. 702-888-2222


It sounds like you in theory have a personal injury claim but it is not clear if it is economical to pursue since you may not have more than a bruised finger which may get better on its own. If there is visible bruising I would take a picture. The hotel has been made aware. Unless you need real medical treatment for the finger I would call it quits with what you got. If the problem resolves itself within a month I'd let it slide. If it is still bothering you a month from now you will need to get it checked out medically if you have not already.


A descriptive severity scoring system for injuries to the hand, distal to the carpus, has been designed. Each ray of the hand is assessed separately. Each ray's score is then multiplied by a weighting factor for that ray and added to the scores of the other rays to obtain a total score for the injury. This system has been tested on a series of specimen injuries and compared with the opinion of experienced hand surgeons. A retrospective study of hand injuries has also been conducted, and the Hand Injury Severity Score (HISS) has been found to closely correlate with return to work. Four grades of increasing severity of hand injury have been described. Although this system has been designed as a research tool, it is envisaged that it would be a useful immediate measure of severity and a guide to likely outcome.Campbell DA, Kay SP.
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St James's University Hospital, Leeds, UKPMID: 8771461 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


It sounds like the hotel's employee was negligent, but whether or not you have a claim against the hotel depends on the extent of your injury. If the injury resolves itself in a few days, then your claim against the hotel would be so minor that it would not be worth it to make a claim. However, if your injury becomes more serious and requires medical treatment, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. If you have any concern that you have a legitimate injury that requires medical attention, then do not delay going to see a doctor. Feel free to email me or call me if you need legal assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer