Skip to main content

What should I do if I was walking and a car coming out hits me on my leg?

Kent, WA |

I was walking home and a car coming out of a 7 - 11 hits me on my leg the guy was driving out like if no one was in front of him and says he didn't see me because his wind shield wipers weren't working . the guy pulls over and gives me his information and writes on paper that he takes full responsibility . the police said that they couldn't do anything because I was not hurt and that what had happened wasn't illegal .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If you weren't hurt, then the other guy wouldn't owe you anything. If your injuries were only worth $5, then it wouldn't be worthwhile to bother about it.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]


I dont see a case here as there does not appear to be any damages.


If you have an injury, seek medical attention and then a free 30 minute consultation with a personal injury attorney in your area to discuss your options.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


If you have no present physical injuries there is no need to make a personal injury claim. If you subsequently became aware of an injury then contact a local personal injury attorney.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


If you are injured, you should go to a doctor to have your injury examined and treated.

You can contact the driver's insurer and file a claim. If you are not injured, the insurer may decline to pay you anything or may pay you the doctor's fees and some small amount of money to settle the case.

As far as the police is concerned, if you were not hurt and this happened on private property, the police is not going to do anything.

If your were injured or the incident happened on public street, you can contact the city's prosecutor. The prosecutor would actually be the one who decides whether to charge the driver with any violation.

You can review your specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options. However, if you were not injured, you likely will find that few attorneys would take your case on a contingency fee basis.


Be glad that you were not injured and put it behind you. Lawsuits should only be filed on behalf of people with injury and damages.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer