Skip to main content

What should I do for a reckless driving ticket?

Blacksburg, VA |

I am 23 years old and have a completely clean driving record. I got pulled over for going 83/70 in Virginia. The car I was driving I had purchased the week prior and honestly just didn't realize how fast I was going especially since I wasn't used to the feel of the car. I am absolutely terrified of getting jail time, having to pay thousands of dollars (that I don't have), my insurance going up, and having a criminal record that will negatively impact jobs chances and my future in general. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should try to fight that, it might at least get reduced, if not dismissed. You might also try hiring a lawyer to defend you.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Reckless driving is a criminal charge in Virginia and if you're convicted, you could lose your license, as well as go to jail in some circumstances. You need to hire an attorney who can review your facts, gather any evidence and interview possible witnesses.

Good luck.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Ben Titter
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - Available 24 hours

Responses on AVVO do not establish an attorney-client relationship. All responses to questions should be used for informational purposes only. Always consult personally with an attorney prior to initiating or responding to any legal action.


First off, don't panic. Second, hire a local criminal defense attorney in the area in which you were charged. Attorneys routinely are successful in reducing reckless driving charges to improper driving or speeding. Even if the Judge comes down hard on you, your attorney can appeal this matter to the Circuit Court and get you a new trial, but this step should not be necessary. Your attorney will likely give you recommendations on things you can do before court that will help your case. Follow your attorney's advice. Best of luck.

The information provided herein is intended solely for educational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a local attorney for assistance with your matter.


If your violation was in the Western part of the state, there is a good chance this can be kept off your record. Get an attorney to help you.


I have handled charges like yours in Montgomery County and it is possible to get the charges reduced or dismissed and avoid the bad outcomes you describe. Please feel free to give my office a call for a consultation.

Andrew P. Connors, Esq.

Please understand that no attorney-client relationship exists until entry of a representation agreement setting forth the terms and conditions of our engagement. Every person's circumstances are different, so nothing here should be taken as legal advice for your situation or as creating an attorney-client relationship. No outcome can ever be guaranteed. Find out more at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer