Skip to main content

What should I do about a false report I made

Desert Hot Springs, CA |

Me and someome got into a argument in july which turned physical. Theg went to jail amd still is incustody.. I told the cop and detective who took tthe report that he(inmate) kidnapped me and held me against my wil(false imprisonment)l,which wasn't true. There hasnt been a trial yet or anything like that. So Im wondering wwhat to do from here

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


By making a false report to the police, you committed a serious crime. You need to consult in private with a criminal defense attorney, immediately. Say nothing about this to anyone else until you do.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin<br> Bodzin Donnelly Mockrin & Slavin, LLP<br> 2029 SE Jefferson Street, Suite 101, Milwaukie, OR 97222<br> <br> Telephone: 503-227-0965<br> Facsimile: 503-345-0926<br> Email:<br> Online:



How do I do that,?I dont know if it matters or not that I'm a minor

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin


Use the 'find a lawyer' function on this site to locate an attorney in your area. You can search by town. The fact that you're a minor may offer you some protections, but it's still a bad situation. A lawyer should be willing to talk to you even despite your age.


Lying in a police report is a serious crime. In addition, many prosecutors will believe that you told the truth then, but are recanting afterwards because of the time spent without the significant other. So the best thing you can do is Lawyer Up with someone who is familiar with Marcy's Law. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


Hire an attorney, don't talk with the cops anymore, and don't talk with anyone else about your false statements, as they could be used against you.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.


Contact an attorney who can help you. Filing a false police report is a serious matter. Many of us on Avvo provide a free consultation, so make some calls.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer