What should i do? walmart contacted me today from a slip&fall in their store on yesterday, they will send it to the claims dept.

Lithonia, GA |

well i was doing some shopping as usual at this particular neighborhood walmart store in lithonia,ga and i had just ask one of the employees on the opposite end of the isle where the fries where located (he was stocking food items) and he said straight ahead down the isle to the right side, so i proceeded to go near where the fries where and i walked onto the rug area toward the location of the freezer where the fries were and before i knew it i landed on the floor hard, i am in pain fromthe fall,luckily a nice man came from behind me and helped me up from the floor and when i did get up my pants where wet,i never saw any water spill on the carpet/flr area and i just felt humiliated and finished my purchase and left the store,they have reviewed the camera tape to confirm it,what doc do i c

i got a call this early afternoon from walmart manager asking me how i was feeling i told her i am in pain and that i needs to see a doctor cause my body is hurting she said they did review the camera tape of the fall and will send it to their claims dept....should i just let them pay me or can this be handled by an attorney?

Best Answer

Unfortunately, Wal-Mart is known for dastardly deeds, when it comes to people that have fallen in their stores. My suggestion is to not trust them and to get a lawyer, ASAP. There may be video of the incident, which needs to be preserved, as well as potential witnesses that need to be interviewed, etc... With Wal-Mart, these things seem to always disappear shortly after the incident, if they are not helpful tot he store. I have handled many fall cases against Wal-Mart. (770) 421-6888 www.braunree.com

NO DUTIES ARE INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION. If you have not executed a fee contract or an engagement letter, this firm does NOT represent you as your attorney. Most legal rights have time limits, and this email does not constitute advice on the application of limitation periods unless expressly stated above.

Well, it would be easy for me to put out your missteps (pun intended), what I suggest is to contact local and qualified personal injury counsel, and see a doctor. Do not speak with Walmart. Feel better and good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

First things first, you need to get medical care for your injuries. I'd suggest you not speak with the folks at Walmart anymore as any conversations you have are likely being recorded and very well may be used against you later. Slip and fall cases are very factually sensitive and the claims handlers know exactly what they need to get you to say in order to avoid liability. Second, you should speak with an injury attorney to assess whether or not you have a legitimate case. Under Georgia law, you will need to be able to show that Walmart knew (or at least should've known) that water had puddled on the floor but that they had failed to remedy the situation or otherwise warn you of the potentially hazardous condition. I'd highly encourage you to speak with an attorney quickly for two reasons: 1) to protect you from continued calls from the Walmart representatives, and 2) to send a letter to that Walmart requesting that any videos, photos, statements, or other potentially relevant information be preserved. Unfortunately, many times security cameras are recorded over by these stores if/when they realize it won't be good for them.

Whether you handle this on your own or retain an attorney is entirely up to you, however, generally an attorney will be able to achieve a greater return for you. The facts you describe indicate you have a definite premises liability claim against Wal-Mart, and I highly recommend you at least talk to an attorney about this matter. Until you decide, do not talk to Wal-Mart claims no matter what they say. Just tell them you are consulting with an attorney when they pressure you for a statement. As far retaining the video, a spoliation of evidence letter needs to be seen as soon as possible before they record over it.

Are you hurt? If so consult with a local personal injury attorney immediately.

What are your expectations? What are your actual damages, such as physical injuries, medical bills, etc.? Being humiliated is not grounds for a lawsuit, and just a bruise and pain for a couple days, without an actual injury, is generally insufficient. In addition, you would have to show that the store had knowledge of the hazard and failed to clean it up. If you have no real claim for damages, the store might come up with a gift card or something of value.

You have already made one major mistake. Slip and fall cases are dificult, and Wal-Mart is particularly devious. Do NOT talk to them or their representatives. Everything you tell them will be used against you. If you proceed without a lawyer, your chances of any payment are zero. Even with a lawyer such cases are difficult. Get treatment, keep records, and see a lawyer ASAP so the lawyer can get and see the video before Wal-Mart destroys it.

The issue will be did Wal-Mart know of the hazard and could you have seen it, and also what injuries you received.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

You will likely get a bogus letter from the store stating that "they have reviewed the camera footage, and that they have determined that they are not liable"...I have about two hundred of these ridiculous letters in my file cabinet...It is outrageous behavior, and I may even file a class action....but that aside, retain a local lawyer in your city to investigate.

You have received 8 responses so far to your question and this one is nine. They are all the same. You need a lawyer and you need to stop talking to Walmart. These 8 now 9 lawyers are not telling you this because they want your case and make money out of something Walmart will take care of for you. WIth or without an attorney I suspect Walmart's response will be that they are not liable. Only a lawyer can assist you when that happens. As another lawyer pointed out--just because you fell and just because you fell on some liquid in the store DOES NOT make the store automatically liable. It will be necessary to show that the store was on some notice of the hazard. For example, were there footprints in the area arguably showing that the water had been there long enough for Walmart to have found it and cleaned it? Is there some problem with the freezer that leaks and Walmart should have known about it. Do customers taking things out of the freezer drip water and ice on the floor so that arguably this is a recurring problem that should have been addressed. Did some employee cause the hazard. If you have a serious enough injury and a lawyer is willing to investigate, those are some of the questions that need to explored. The seriousness of your injury is critical. If you are hurt you need medical attention. I suspect Walmart will take the position you are not hurt, and if you are hurt you are better and if you are still hurt its from something else. You need to get better anyway, see your family doctor or go to the Er and see an orthopedic doctor as soon as possible.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

It sounds like you have a valid premise liability claim. You would have the right to be compensated for medical bills, permanent disability,lost time from work and other expenses associated with the claim.
Contact an attorney or you can visit our website for further information

you need to speak to an attorney and do not give any statements (recorded or otherwise) to the claims department prior to speaking with a lawyer. make no mistake about it, the claim representatives will do what they can to find a basis not to pay on a claim and in georgia, slip and fall cases routinely get dismissed by the court on summary judgment. focus on your health and getting the medical treatment that you need. let the lawyer handle the liability aspects with walmart.

Contact a personal injury attorney. The fact that your clothes were wet indicates that the condition may have existed for quite awhile. There may be other reported incidents or attempts by Wal Mart to correct the condition. If so, then you may be able to show that they knew or should have known about a dangerous condition. You say we're were in pain. Are you still in pain? If so, go to a physician and get examined. Make sure you tell the doctor how the accident happened. Good luck!

Mitchell Jan Birzon

Mitchell Jan Birzon

Meant to say " You say you were in pain". Sorry about the typo.q

You need an attorney that specializes in premises liability and slip and fall cases right away. They are not easy to win, as I note here, http://daviddorer.com/?p=468, but more to the point, nuances in the way that you explain your story can hinder the ability to recover.

These types of statements are taken by wal-mart to bolster a basis not to compensate you for your loss. You should seek out legal counsel so your rights are protected.

Answering questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.

You absolutely need an attorney for this. In my opinion one of the worst things that you could do would be to deal with Walmart's Claims Department yourself. More than likely they will try to get you to sign a release or disclosure with a lot of small print and possibly an arbitration clause stating that you are giving up your right to ever sue- should it come to that. Be extremely careful handling this on your own and be sure to speak with an attorney.