Skip to main content

What should I do, this is my case appx. four months ago my house caught on fire the fire was up in the attic.

Salinas, CA |

my understanding is that if it was not my fault the landlord was to provide housing for two months. however he has not been co-operating with the section code. it has left me homeless and i am not financially able to get a storage and it was difficult finding a new place to live. I did find a new place but it has been difficult moving all my property out, due to the fact that I am unable to pay someone to help me move it out. i have been slowly but regularly moving it out. however my friend and i showed up to take our two last-loads and found my already packed boxes unpacked and scattered with a notice on the front door stating that he was claiming ownership to my property saying i have abandon the rest of my property in which i have not done. what can I do if anything. thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Since there is no personal injury involved, I have changed the category to Landlord / Tenant for you.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


I would consult a landlord/tenant attorney as the facts don't seem right. I'm assuming you we're able to see your stuff unpacked so I would just take them if you can.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Did you or your landlord have insurance for the fire damage? I would ask the landlord and also look at your lease. You should consult a lawyer who concentrates on landlord tenant law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer