Skip to main content

What should I do? I was caught shoplifting at Kmart.

Poplar Bluff, MO |

I worked at Kmart in the Garden Center, and before I started they promised a cooler full of to drink since it was so hot outside. They did not supply me with what they promised. They treated me horrible. The Service desk and cashiers were given fans inside, but I wasn't given anything outside. So everyday I took something off the shelf without paying, they eventually caught me, and got with shoplifting.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to hire a criminal defense attorney who practices in the city or county where this occurred. Your attorney can probably negotiate a plea bargain deal to keep the shoplifting charge off your record. Depending on which court this is in, your criminal history, and the details of your case, it's very likely that your charge could be amended to "Littering." You will have to pay a fine and court costs, and you might also have to attend a theft offenders class.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.


Hire an attorney and stop writing about this. If you cannot afford a private attorney, apply for a public defender attorney.

NEVER describe your facts in an online forum. I have CONFIRMED there is at least ONE county prosecutor that is a member of this site. My statements are my opinion solely based on the information provided, and that opinion can be wrong if your facts are different than what I believed them to be. If you have any further questions, you can contact me at 636-532-1400 or through my website


While I do appreciate your story and feel for the lack of "fairness" from KMart, their breach of promise is no defense to stealing. Stop writing about the case on this website (because you just confessed) and hire an attorney. If you are a first time offender they can probably get you a deal with no jail time and keep the conviction off of your record. Make sure you tell the attorney you hire that your main concern is keeping your record clean.

Anthony Muhlenkamp - 314-725-7777;, Frank, Juengel & Radefeld, Attorneys at Law, P.C. Feel free to call or email me for a free consultation. However, please be advised that answering questions on this webpage is done to provide general information only and that by responding to a question we have not established an attorney client relationship. In order to establish such a relationship we would need to meet in person and go over more details of your case. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer