Skip to main content

What should I do? I got a ticket for failure to obey traffic control device.

Springfield, OR |

I was about to turn right when I noticed the light had turned yellow I didn't think I had enough time to stop without being in the intersection, I made the turn then shortly after a motorcycle police was behind me so I pulled over. I wasn't sure why I was being pulled over at the time I didn't see the light turn red, so I didn't think I did anything wrong. He came to my window asked for my licence and insurance and asked if I saw him and I said "no" he said that he was giving me a ticket for running a red light I told him that it was yellow, he told me that it is illegal to run a yellow light. I'm only 17 and this is my first ticket. My family told me to plead not guilty so there is a chance my insurance will not go up, so I did. Now I have my court date in 2 weeks I don't know what to do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can either study the legal issues to the point that you can effectively conduct a defense yourself (perhaps hard to do), or you can hire an attorney to help you defend against the charge (or try to cut a deal with the prosecutor), or change your plea to guilty and avoid the trial.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.


Contact a traffic ticket attorney in your area to find out what your options are. In OR, you cannot go through a yellow if it is safe to stop and it is basically the same ticket as a red light ticket. Sometimes there can be a traffic school option or deferred sentence, etc. Sometimes the court clerk may even know what the options are or be able to tell you what the court's procedures are. The officer who ticketed you has authority to amend your ticket or work with you to some degree if the court allows it. It's worth starting with either the court clerk or an attorney in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer