Skip to main content

What's the next step in the divorce process?

Long Beach, CA |

I am going through a divorce and the judgement package has been excepted. What we do next? What's the next step in the divorce process?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Divorce court
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Generally, if everything is done correctly, you would receive back the Notice of Entry of Judgment. However, if it was not completed correctly, you would get back a document indicating what documents still need to be completed.

None of the information on this site constitutes legal advice. It is an ad for attorney services. The attorneys at DeDecker & Meltzer are licensed attorneys in the state of California. The information is intended to be general in nature as there are many laws and regulations not mentioned on this site that may apply to your situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between you and the Law Office of DeDecker & Meltzer unless a signed written fee agreement exists. You should not rely or act upon the information provided on this site without seeking the advice from an attorney.


I don't know what you mean by "excepted". If you mean "accepted", then wait until you receive something back from the Court, which hopefully will be a Notice of Entry of Judgment and a conformed copy of a Judgment - but it could be a rejection sheet advising of your errors or omissions. If you mean "rejected", then follow the recommendations made on the rejection sheet and re-submit.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


If your divorce and judgment package has been "accepted", by whom, the parties, or the Court? If the parties, meaning you and your spouse, have signed all the paperwork, it needs to be filed with the Court and then you wait until the judgment paperwork is processed by the Court. You must provide self-addressed stamped envelopes for both parties to the Court, and the Court will send you a copy of the Notice of Entry of Judgment after the Judgment is entered. You can then go to Court and get a copy of your Judgment, unless a copy has been sent by the Clerk of the Court.