Skip to main content

What's the difference between a certificate of citizenship and a certificate of naturalization?

Bronx, NY |

I'd like to change my name, but I don't know what is the difference that appears on form I-565

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you are already a US citizen, then you would need to file a petition to change your name with your local court, as that is no longer an immigration matter. If you have not a US citizen, you can change your name as part of the naturalization procedure.


A Certificate of Naturalization is granted to green card holders after their become U.S. citizens though naturalization.

A Certificate of Citizenship is granted to a person born outside the U.S. to one or more U.S. citizen parents. Such a certificate means that this person is a U.S. citizen at birth.

For additional information, please see

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation, telephonic or in-person, by an attorney experienced in immigration law. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.



Thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer