Skip to main content

What's the difference between "dissolution - reserving jurisdiction" and "divorce"?

Sunnyvale, CA |

What's the difference between "dissolution - reserving jurisdiction" and "divorce"? Is there another step needed between the first status and a complete divorce?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can get a status-only dissolution, where you are no longer married but have not completed the entire divorce. Many times couples will want to terminate the marriage faster than they can work out property division or support issues. You can enter a status only judgment and “reserve” on all of the other issues. You can enter a judgment as to some issues and reserve on others. I think that is what you’re asking about. If it isn’t what you’re asking about, then add some additional facts.

Best of luck to you.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Dissolution (of marriage) and divorce means the same thing. If you reserve jurisdiction it means at least one issue is unresolved. In both divorces reserving jurisdiction over issues and in divorces without reserving jurisdiction both parties would be legally divorced so either party could remarry. The unresolved issues would have to be resolved in a judgment on reserved issues.


You should speak with local counsel because one is final and the other is temporary.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer