What's a reasonable time frame for a lawyer to prepare and file an adjustment of status?

Waco, TX |

My wife and I hired an immigration attorney to adjust my status through marriage. We think it has taken too long for the lawyer to send in the petition. We turned in everything they asked for. I was brought into this country at the age of 4 from Mexico with a visa but it has since expired. I am now 22 years old. I did get a dwi 2 years ago. I don't know if that would be a reason for him to take so long. I have called a few times and the paralegal keeps saying the same thing that she already looked over everything and it looks good and she's just waiting on the attorney to review and send it off. What would be a reasonable time frame for the attorney to prepare and file the adjustment of status after we turned in all he asked for?

1-3 months.

The lawyer could be checking your DUI info. Or, if you lost your I-94, that may cause delay.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

How much time has passed? Every attorney works differently and sets their own schedule. Schedule a meeting and go back to discuss expectations. This is something that should have already been discussed. My colleague has indicated 1-3 months. However, in my own personal opinion, once I have all of the necessary documents, all forms are reviewed by a client and signed, all filing fees are paid - the package is sent out within a week. But that's just me.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

Viera Buzgova

Viera Buzgova

I completely agree - if we have everything and it has been reviewed, a week is reasonable.

It's been almost 2 months since i turned in everything they asked for. When they explained the whole process to my wife and I it seemed pretty simple. They made it seem fast and easy. I was told the paralegal would put everything together and review it and then send it to the attorney for him to do the last review before sending it off. We paid half (his fee) up front and we're supposed to pay the other half (filing fees) when they're about to send it off. I'm starting to believe it was a mistake hiring this attorney. I'm afraid he's just going to keep putting my case aside since he already made his money.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

schedule an appointment to see the attorney

Typically 4 months if everything has been done correctly.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please contact at the Law Office of Daniel Corno, (832) 767-2922, 1535 South Richey, Pasadena, Texas 77502 elabogadodaniel@yahoo.com, elabogadodaniel.com

Assuming that the attorney has everything that he or she requested from you then it should not take too long. But as someone else mentioned, there may be something missing from your supporting documents or some of your information was incorrect or inconsistent. I would set an appointment with either the attorney or the legal assistant working on your case and see what's going on with the case before you conclude that the attorney is doing a poor job. If it turns out that they haven't done anything on your case, I would request a copy of your file and see if you can find someone else.