Skip to main content

What rights does the biological father have?

Greenfield, MA |
Attorney answers 3


If the biological father establishes through court and dna tests that he is indeed the biological father, then the court will grant him parental rights and responsibilities. The judge will NOT grant him custody for not telling him that you were pregnant. The father may get visitation rights, possibly supervised, or even shared custody. You should prepare any statements, witnesses and evidence supporting your claims that he was abusive and that he poses a risk to you or your son, as long as that is true. The father may also be ordered to pay child support, so you should be prepared to produce a financial statement. It is always a good idea to consult with and hire an attorney in matters like these. Good luck!

Gary S. Sinclair is an attorney licensed to practice in Massachusetts. If you wish to contact me or any other attorney on AVVO, just click on the attorney's name and you will find contact information. All of my answers are based on Massachusetts law or a simple reading of the law in your jurisdiction. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to your question. The information provided should NOT be relied upon for making legal decisions. You will be best served by hiring an attorney in your area who specializes in the field of law pertinent to your question.



thank you!


Not telling a biological father that you were pregnant is not a reason for losing custody. If this man is the biological father, he may get visitation rights. If you are worried about your child's safety, you need to be prepared to argue for supervised visitation only. Be prepared to lay out the history of the relationship and your reasons for wanting to protect your child in a way that is focused and to the point. If this guy has a criminal record -- particularly one involving substance abuse or violence -- bring it to the judge's attention. If you ever got a restraining order against this man, bring a copy of the order with you and make sure the judge knows about it. If there is a witness WHO WAS ACTUALLY PRESENT AND SAW HIM ABUSE YOU OR YOUR CAT, bring that witness with you. You may want to practice what you want to say with someone who will play "devil's advocate" so you won't get rattled.

Good luck!

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.


Each of you will tell the court why he should not have any parental rights of visitation rights.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer