Skip to main content

What rights does a father have to an unborn child, while the mother is pursuing an adoption in florida?

Miami, FL |
Attorney answers 3


He still has 100% rights to 'custody' of the child if he so wishes to exercise it and can prove he is a fit parent if anyone objects.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


In order to protect his rights under Florida law the father must register with the Florida Putative Father Registry as a first step. This puts anyone on notice that he intends to take responsibility for the child. In my experience this is rarely done. In order to pursue an adoption plan and because he can be located, you should serve a Notice of Intended Adoptoin Plan and then serve him with a Petition to Terminate if he is not willing to consent to the adoption. You should consult with an attorney about how best to navigate through this case. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.


He has the right to bring a paternity action and get his rights determined by the court.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer