Skip to main content

What rights do i have as a parent when DHS takes my kids?

Canon City, CO |

Safety Plan was alleged violated. They wrote in the safety plan that I was to have no contact with the children, only supervised visits through the department and that they would be "pursing" legal custody of the children and out of home placement if it was violated. They took the children from my fiance on a "traffic stop." Without any proof i was ever around the children or in the home. Dhs was granted temporary custody of my son who is now in foster care and my daughter was sent to another state with her biological father.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to get an attorney ASAP. DSS has a lot of authority to take your kids away and I have personally seen them ruin families as both a judge and as an attorney. You need an attorney to look out for your best interests and fight DHS. Best of luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


If you are indigent, the court must appoint an attorney to represent you.


Per previous answers, you should be provided counsel if you are indigent. If not, it would behoove you to visit with a dependency and neglect attorney. At this juncture, you should have received a Petition in Dependency & Neglect which details the legal and factual allegations, and you should get a jury trial if you wish to dispute the facts or conclusions. However, it is hard to give detailed information based on this amount of information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer