Skip to main content

What rights do grandparents have in the state of georgia?

Rome, GA |

my sister-in-law has been wrongly accused of being an unfit parent by her own parents out of their own spite for her. A judge granted a motion they filed in court to immediatly remove one of her children from her custody on the grounds that they feared for his safety, yet they chose to leave the other child (an infant of 5 months) in the custody of the mother. All the accusations are false and will be found unsubstantiated thru any investigation that is carried out, but she wants to be sure on this particular matter before going into the courtroom for the first hearing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your sister-in-law needs to get herself a good child custody attorney. Your question really isn't a grandparents' rights question but a parents' rights one. Anyone, grandparents included, may file a petition alleging that a child is in danger and seeking custody. But parents have a fundamental constitutional right to raise their children unless they are proven to be unfit. A parent may be found to be unfit as to one child and not another due to that child's specific needs and circumstances, though leaving a younger child with her is some evidence that the grandparents aren't really concerned with her fitness as a parent.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer