Skip to main content

What recourse do my son and I have if campus police said someone accused him of being a drug dealer and searched his dorm room?

Indianapolis, IN |

My son is a freshman in college. Campus police showed up at his door with a request to search the room for drugs. He said yes and signed a permission slip for them to enter. While the police were searching, he video taped the whole search. A friend in the room asked what made them want to search my son's room. The police replied that there was a drug arrest and the person arrested said they got the drugs from my son. Do we have access to police records to find out who falsely accused him? He is scared, has never used drugs, we've never had issues with him and drugs or alcohol while he was home and we want to know what can be done about finding out who the accuser is, and how to clear his name if possible.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If your son was not charged, you will not likely ever discover who made the tip against him. The police guard their reports closely and even under public records act requests, they will not disclose their reports. If your son is ever charged, he will have the right to receive such information. Incidentally, your son did not have to give the police consent to search the room. If he had said no, they would have either not searched the room or sought a search warrant and that search warrant would explain why the police thought your son had drugs.

Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and Jeffrey Lewis. If you have a legal question, you should contact an attorney and seek legal advice based on your specific circumstances. Do not take any actions or refrain from acting based on any information contained in this website. Jeffrey Lewis disclaims any liability or responsibility for any actions taken or not taken in reliance on this website.



I really appreciate your reply. Thank you.


First of all get your hands on a copy of the campus police policy and procedure manual, or whatever it might be called. Second, get to an attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,



This site and your comments are very helpful and appreciated. It has all worked out well. Thank you for the advice.


I agree with Mr. de Groot. Get a copy of the campus police policy/procedure manual, and get to an attorney. But be prepared that you may never learn the name of the accuser. Good luck.

JR Emerson is licensed to practice law in Indiana and practices throughout central Indiana. Mr. Emerson's response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Mr. Emerson has provided the response as a form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often the question provided does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. JR Emerson strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below., 317-721-5297 <ul> <li><a href=""> Indianapolis Indiana Criminal Law Defense Lawyer</ a></li> <li><a href=""> Indianapolis Family Law Attorney </ a></li> <li><a href=""> Indianapolis Divorce Lawyers</a></li> <li><a href="">Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorney </ a></li> </ul>

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer