Skip to main content

What recourse do I have against GMAC? I can't afford an attorney and GMAC won't admit their error or make me whole.

Pardeeville, WI |

The end of May I contacted my mortgage company, GMAC, to make a payment by phone. The woman who assisted me was very clear, she confirmed the amount and provided me with a reference #. A few days later I noticed the amount was approx $1400.00 more than the authorized amount. I immediately contacted GMAC. I asked the assistant to have my account credited to avoid the overdrafts that would be occurring. She explained a particular dept had to review the findings and then take action. She advised I needed to put my request in writing. She provided me with the fax # and name of the dept to send it to. I faxed my request the next day. I called back after 3 days and continue to get the run around. They sent me $64 to cover the overdraft and said I never asked for a refund of the $1400.00.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You can find a WI consumer lawyer at Two very good consumer lawyers in WI are Mary Fons and DeVonna Joy. If the lender is keeping $ they wrongfully took without your authority they can be held responsible. Consider sending a Qualified Written Request (letter) by certified mail at the address they have told you they receive such requests. In your letter be sure provide your loan # and your address and other contact info. Date the letter and tell them your story about what happened and request that they investigate your dispute and respond to you in writing. Send your request by certified mail return receipt so you can prove they received it. Be sure to keep a copy of your letter. Under RESPA they have a duty to acknowledge your request within 20 business days mthey must investigate and respond to your request within 60 business days.

You may contact Luke Wallace at Humphreys Wallace Humphreys P.C. at 918-747-5300 or For more information see The response above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in Oklahoma. See also terms and conditions incorporated as if they were reprinted here.



Thank you I appreciate your time and input. Your suggestions, especially providing a website is most helpful.


You could try filing complaints with the Department of Financial Institutions and the Department of Agrigulture, Trade, and Consumer Protection. Don't know that they will do anything other than send an inquiry letter, but sometimes that is all it takes.

You should also contact a consumer lawyer. They may be willing to take your case on for what they could make GMAC pay.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:



Thank you I appreciate your input and your time.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer