Skip to main content

What reasonable accommodations can I request under ADA or should I look at filing Workman's Comp?

Houston, TX |

I was diagnosed in April with carpal tunnel in both hands. My job requires me to type/write/e-mail and have phone conversations while simultaneously entering data into computer for 8 hours/day.

I'm on LOA under FMLA. STD has been denied until post-surgical. Must wait 4 weeks to operate due to cortisone injections.

Possibly return to work (with restrictions) , but it would be impossible for me to continue with the same job and sales quota/data entry expectations. It is very painful to type, and voice data entry wouldn't work, since I am typing notes during phone conversations.

I can't survive financially another 4 weeks without pay.

HR says I can request accommodations for review, but I would still be held to same performance expectations. Feel I will be fired if I return.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


This is very case-specific so you should talk with a lawyer offline who can review those specifics and advise accordingly. Best of luck

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.


It would be unlawful for your employer to fire you for requesting reasonable accommodation for your carpal tunnel condition or to fire you for being on FMLA. See what accommodations HR can give you while you recover. Also, if you were injured on the job you should apply for workers compensation and an employer cannot fire you for seeking workers compensation.

This is not intended to be legal advice, but is only for general information. Cantact an attorney in your area for legal advice.


Please call a lawyer near you in Houston. It sounds like you have a good case.

Attorney David Snyder is licensed to practice in the State of New York where he operates the Snyder Law Firm located at 6876 Buckley Rd., Liverpool, NY with a web address of and Mr. Snyder’s answers are intended to assist legal consumers in obtaining the most accurate information possible and to find the most appropriate lawyer when necessary. In no way can any of his answers be construed as legal advice without being retained and having all relevant information available to him.


Is your medical provider telling you that your job is a producing cause of your CTS? If so I would strongly advise that you file a workers compensation claim.


It is odd that they are asking you to dictate the accommodation. Generally the employer insists on their right to dictate the accommodation. In addition to contacting a lawyer, as others have suggested, I would suggest making it clear that you are open to their suggested temporary accommodations so long as they accommodate your medical needs.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer