Skip to main content

What qualifies as bankruptcy malpractice? I think I may need a lawyer to help me on my Chapter 7 case.

Long Beach, CA |

I believe my bankruptcy attorney did a horrible job representing me. I told him I wanted to keep my house, which I eventually lost, so he put me in a Chapter 7. Then when the Trustee moved to sell my house, my bankruptcy attorney did not even bother to defend against that action. Was this proper representation or do I have a claim?

Does anyone know of a malpractice atty that handles BK cases?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would suggest going to a mal practice attorney. It is impossible to give you an answer without all the facts in detail.

Jonathan Leventhal, Esq.
Leventhal Law Group, P.C.
Tel.: 818-347-5800
Fax: 818-936-0302


NO EX-PARTE NOTICE VIA VOICE MAIL OR EMAIL: I do not accept e-mail notice for ex parte Applications via voicemail or by email. You must comply with California Law and give notice to a person in my office during regular business hours.

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

Leventhal Law Group, P.C. is a Debt Relief Agency under federal law.

Note: The Leventhal Law Group, P.C. does not reprenet you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of the Leventhal Law Group, P.C. and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.


The link below contains general information that may assist you in evaluating the circumstance in which a chapter 7 trustee takes and sells a home to pay unsecured creditors from the debtor's equity.

Not legal advice, just general information. I practice in Vermont, not California. Consult California counsel to obtain legal advice.


In my opinion your BK attorney should have told you to have an appraisal (costs $$$) or at least a CMA (free) BEFORE you filed your petition. Also, he should have given you a list of exemptions that are available to protect your assets. IF your house's equity is in excess of the available exemption AND he told you that you ran the risk of the trustee "taking & selling" your house. If he did all three, there probably is no malpractice.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


Right or wrong, successful malpractice claims against bankruptcy attorneys are rare. What happens to a debtor inside and outside of bankruptcy is nearly entirely dictated by the debtor's circumstances. So, what an attorney does or does not do rarely changes the outcome. The problem many client's have is that the attorney fails to fully explain something, which may be an ethical violation and can be raised with the state bar association, but rarely, does that situation rise to malpractice.

For example, if a debtor is behind on her house payments and cannot afford the mortgage payment, the debtor will lose the house regardless of what the attorney does or does not do.

As for defending against the trustees action, I would suggest reviewing your fee agreement with the attorney. In chapter 7 bankruptcy, it is fairly standard practice that attorneys limit their representation and do not prosecute or defend actions that arise after the bankruptcy filing without additional fees being paid. Also, it is entirely possible that there was no viable defense against the trustees action (can't really say one way or the other).

You should probably sit down with a competent bankruptcy attorney. and yes you will probably need to pay some money, to have the attorney audit your bankruptcy to determine if anything is really at issue.

Maybe not what you want hear, but part of bankruptcy is moving on.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer