Skip to main content

What penalty should I get for first offense forgery-uttering and obtain prescription by fraud. 1 count each?

Madison, WI |

Forgery is Class H felony and Obtain prescription by fraud is Class U Misd. The DA offered me a plea deal....1-plead guilty to felony forgery/2yrs probation and 2-plead guilty to 2 counts of obtain prescription by fraud misd/2yrs probation, 30 days in jail, AODA assessment and counseling. In my opinion these offers kind of suck. It was my first offense and have no prior record or history of abuse and a productive member of society. How do I get him to be more lenient on me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. If you cannot afford one you could apply for a free one from the State Public Defender's office.


There are two basic options: 1. convince the prosecutor that, based on your characteristics, the totality of your circumstances that you deserve a better deal. 2. make the prosecutor work hard by fighting your case so that he has incentive to ease up and be more reasonable.
The full answer is much more complicated and would require much more information, but those are the basics of getting a more favorable compromise.
Pleading guilty to a serious felony charge as a first offender may have a very significant impact on your life. You should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately to assist you.

My answer to your question is based on the facts that you provide in your question. Additional factual details about your situation could change my answer completely. The law in inherently uncertain and always subject to change.


Hire a lawyer. Most lawyers have knowledge of various other options that the d.a. might consider. Lawyers will also be able to spot potential defenses that you may not realize. Get a lawyer (public defender if you don't have money) sooner than later. It is easier to get a good offer early than it is to change a da's mind/ try to get them to contradict themself with a better offer later on in the case. Depending on your age, you will also want to consider expungment in any offer along with many other things.

Information is for Informational Purposes Only. The material on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. Accordingly, you should not rely on, or act on any information on this website, without consulting with a competent attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state or jurisdiction. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that particular case and the results will differ from case to case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer