What penalties am I facing for my second misdemeomer battery charge?? the last 1 was in 2006

Kissimmee, FL |

I have tried numerous times to get ahold of my public defender and no luck, all I want to know is should i hire a lawyer to keep me out of jail? I was charged for scratches on his lower back..misdemeoner battery is my charge but it is my 2nd one in 5 years. I know there is a maximum penalty, but i want honesty as to what I may be facing please and thank you.

Depending on whether or not you were convicted on the first DV battery, then the State Attorney's Office has the discretion of charging you with a 3rd degree felony on your current DV battery case. I would highly suggest you consult with a criminal defense attorney who may be able to convice the State not to charge it as a felony.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship

Since you potentially could be charged with a felony battery (max penalty is $5,000 Fine, 5 years probation, 5 years prison) due to your prior battery in 2006, you will need to speak to your attorney immediately or hire a private one in order to resolve your case to your best interests. My office takes cases in Kissimmee and we offer a free consultation.

Legal disclaimer: I'm only licensed in FL. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.