Skip to main content

What other way can i serve my abusive ex divorce papers in a dif state?

Phoenix, AZ |

I want to divorce my abusive husband already but he wont give me an address to serve him the papers. He wants to let everything drag out till he says its gonna happen. We do have a daughter together but he hasnt seen her nor does he seem to care, hasnt sent her anything or talked to her for over a year. I have all my paperwork but dont know how i can serve him if i dont have an address and he refuses to give me one. I heard i can post it in the newspaper where he lives, is that true? Please let me know, thank you so much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


What you are referring to is service by publication, which is only appropriate if you can absolutely not serve the other party. Most process serving companies have an ability to run a "skip trace" based on a person's name, last address, or social security number. Typically, doing this "skip trace" will return the person's most current address. Then the process serving company will find your husband to personally serve him the papers. If after these attempts you can still not locate your husband, service by publication may be appropriate.

My recommendation would be that you obtain a free consultation from a family law attorney to review your case before taking action.

Good luck!

Judd S. Nemiro
Law Offices of Judd S. Nemiro, PLLC

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer