Skip to main content

What options do the plaintiff have ensuring recovery from the defendant once plaintiff wins lawsuit in the court?

New York, NY |

What options do the plaintiff have apart from TRO (temporary restriction order) or Order of attachment to ensure recovery from the defendant after plaintiff wins lawsuit in the court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Collecting a money judgment is tough if the Defendant has no assets or has assets and is hiding them. Some remedies are attachment, wage garnishment, petitioning for a lien. There are others. The more information you have about the Defendant's finances or whereabouts the easier it will be to exhaust your remedies. Good luck!



How do I know about the defendant's finances?

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy


Maybe you know which banks the other party deposits checks in or what employer pays the other party and how much.


Assuming you won a money judgment you can try to collect it yourself or you can engage a Marshall or Sherriff to do it.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Winning is step one, collecting is step two. You can seek a garnishment or levy against an account after you have a judgment. If property is in dispute, then you may be entitled to a lis pendens against the property. Consult with a local lawyer to discuss the matter.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer