Skip to main content

What options do I have in Florida if I feel the need to dismiss my public defender?

Tavares, FL |

I was arrested in January because my brother (a 3 time convicted felon on probation) claimed that I had come to his house and tried to rob him at gunpoint with his girlfriend and her children present. I was convicted twice over 20 years ago for the same crime, but have not been arrested for anything since then. Since I was able to bond out in March, my brother has not shown up for depositions or trial and was told he would be arrested. The states att. is now pushing for trial with no other evidence but the forced testimony of my brother and his girlfriend and her 2 children. My public defender waived my right to speedy trial when I told him not to and does not question anything the states att says & appears to not believe that my brother has made up this story & ask tough questions.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to hire a private attorney to fight for you.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.


Your option is to either hire a private attorney or request a new court appointed lawyer. You'd have to lay out the information to the court as to why you feel your lawyer's performance is deficient and how he is prejudicing the defense of your case. Just because you don't necessarily agree with your lawyer's actions, the court will not give you a new lawyer. If your lawyer has failed to do what you have asked, or waived speedy trial when you specifically told him not to, or otherwise failed to properly investigate the witnesses and prepare a defense, you may be able to get other counsel. Good Luck.


You are free to hire a private attorney.

Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. A good place to start is by going to the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Clicking on this link will take you to the part of their site that links you to a map of the US where you can click on your jurisdiction to find an affiliate local organization. There is also a link to find members of NACDL near you. Meet several that offer free consultation. Hire one that you feel comfortable with and you can afford. There is no confidentiality online.
NACDL Local affiliates:
NACDL local members: | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy


I agree with Mr. Regan.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer